Jul 27, 2009

Kmart is dead to me

I went out to buy more film for my camera experiments and ended up going into the Kmart down the street from the camera shop. Actually it was a Super Kmart, but that doesn't make it any better. I was hoping to find a cheap scanner that I could repurpose into a negative film scanner(no such luck). As soon as I walked into the Kmart I knew that I would just be wasting my time. As I walked the aisles in search of the electronics department I got the feeling I was just dirty and no one loved me. I felt like the undead, everyone around me seemed like a zombie content on staring at bargain priced soda and knockoff cheese crackers. The aisles towered above me narrow like a grave and were crowded with substandard housewares. The tile floor had seen better days, there were pieces missing, pieces replaced but not the right color or size or cracked pieces missing entirely. The space filled with dirt and filth awaiting the next old lady to come bumbling along to be tripped and fall on a bargain bin filled with rakes and shovels.

I finally found the electronics department, but no scanners were to be found. I inquired about film for cameras and was lead to a dismal display with 2 specimens of Kodak, both overpriced. I turned and left wondering why I even came into this place. On the way out I looked at the crap in the aisles and wonder "Who buys this shit?", but I guess somewhere someone needs a set of juice glasses with Betty Boop on them. The whole experience made me depressed, but I was hungry. I remember when Kmart used to be good enough for me. I used to be a Kmart shopper. I used to walk those aisles content with buying the crap they sold. I needed what they had to offer. I used to think the blue light special was kind of cool. I don't feel that way anymore. It wouldn't take much to bring those feelings back... Clean the floors, declutter the aisles, clean the air and make it smell less stale, make your store look like it's not a place where people come to die.

No comments: